Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A biased media

I was watching a snippet of Kyle XY the other night and noticed a few things. First, the young man wanted to go to church in the first place because he met a new girl who went there. Then the mother told the father (or vice versa -I can't really remember) not to smile because church was not meant to be fun. Finally when Kyle got there, he pointed out all the incongruities and hypocricies in the church (i.e. unfaithfulness...) Now I did not watch much b/c I was just flipping through, but I noticed that Kyle did not mention anything about the good stuff he noticed, nor did he even seem to notice good stuff. He was respectful of the quiet atmosphere, but really all in all it was all negative, and this got me thinking.
To be unbiased you need to have both view points. Well, television does not! Christians are portrayed as legalists or fruit cakes or both! What is with that?? Is the media that scared of the truth? And don't you dare mention the name of Jesus! Wow! I mean people go off on you.
So what is the media afraid of? Are they afraid of being called out if they show both sides? What happened to freedom of religion? Why are other religions shown as great and wonderful, but Christians are portrayed as boneheads? What is the deal with this?
These are questions I am pondering- would love your input.
Until the next blog,
-S

1 comment:

Debbie C. said...

Well, unfortunately "holiness" and "godliness" don't sell and don't make money and that is the bottom line when it comes to Hollywood or any media coverage at all. Another thing that "irks" me is that parents on TV are always portrayed as the jerks and the kids are always the ones that have it altogether. They (the producers and directors) definitely have an agenda!